If you’ve recently had an abortion, it’s essential to receive a post-abortion exam to protect your health and ensure you’re not experiencing complications.
At Woman to Woman Health Center, we provide free post-abortion exams because your health, safety, and well-being are our top priorities.
Read on to learn more about why a post-abortion exam is critical after abortion and what to expect during your appointment. Or, if you want to talk to our center staff or schedule a post-abortion exam, contact Woman to Woman Health Center today.
How Does a Post-Abortion Exam Protect My Health?
Abortion comes with risks to your health.
Risks of a medical abortion (also known as the “abortion pill”) include:
- Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- An ongoing pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
Risks of a surgical abortion include:
- Uterine perforation (this occurs when one of the abortion instruments pokes a hole in your uterus)
- Uterine scarring
- Cervical damage
However, it’s not always possible to discern if you’re experiencing typical post-abortion symptoms or a more serious risk—which is why a post-abortion exam is critical.
A post-abortion exam protects your health by helping detect any complications and ensuring that you’re recovering properly.
What Happens During a Post-Abortion Exam?
During a post-abortion exam, a doctor or advanced practice provider will conduct a physical examination to check for any pain or abnormalities that may indicate an abortion complication.
An advanced practice provider will also complete the following, which are essential parts of a post-abortion appointment (a vital medical service that helps ensure your reproductive health):
- Thorough physical exam to include a pelvic exam and ultrasound
- Discussion about your emotional and mental health
- Discussion of overall sexual health and contraception
Your Health Is Important
If you’ve recently had an abortion, getting a post-abortion exam is an essential step to help protect your health.
Contact Woman to Woman Health Center today to schedule your free, confidential post-abortion exam.